Dorky, Funny, But Effective Argument For Soda Tax



3 years ago I gave up Coca Cola. I also gave up all food that contained high fructose corn syrup. A year later I had lost 30 pounds. I haven't had a soda since and haven't gained a pound since. In fact, simply giving up that one ingredient and largely avoiding partially hydrogenated oils, my overall health has benefited. Losing 30 pounds will have that effect. Fortunately the food industry is catching on, and numerous items on my previously banned list have returned in a healthier form- things like potato chips, Thomas's english muffins, and organic ketchup. Even Pizza Hut had a commercial on tv last night touting that it's "natural pizza" had sauce with no high fructose corn syrup. Talk about progress!

While I differentiate between man-made processed sugar(HFCS) and raw cane sugar (which I have no problem with), I think the state is heading in the right direction with it's soda tax. Obesity is taxing us all to the tune of over $6 Billion per year in added health care costs here in NY State. Soda is a huge contributor. In the video above, NY State Health Commissioner, Richard Daines makes the case with numerous props and a sometimes funny deadpan delivery. While it comes off as straight dorky, he makes a good point.

Comments

Popular Posts