Thank You, Ralph! Truly Magnificent New Structure On East 72nd Is A Gift To New York!









I can't tell you how many times I have marveled at prewar architecture and remarked "they don't make them like they used to"; or wondered why someone won't just spend the extra money and replicate the best architecture of our city. Thanks to Ralph Lauren, I will have to rephrase both questions into "why can't they do what Ralph did on East 72nd Street"?

What Ralph did was to build what I consider one of the most gorgeous structures built in NYC in a lifetime! At the corner of 72nd Street and Madison, the veil is off, and what replaced essentially 2 story tax payer is now a gorgeous Beaux Arts mansion. It is a sight to behold! The mansion is both masculine and graceful. The exterior is all limestone, and according to a contractor from the good old USA. I could go on about the exceptional details from the balustrades, corbels, and wrought iron finishes, but pictures are worth thousands of words. Two words come to mind for Ralph Lauren- thank you!

Ralph's new women's and home store is expected to open in this new building mid-October.

Comments

  1. this looks unbelievable, I am going to go here and buy something just for the hell of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to make a trip to NYC (from Kansas City) just to see this big boy!! Yowza!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along . i thought i would leave my first comment .Very nice blog and thanks for sharing useful information....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo, Ralph Lauren, for returning grandeur to 72nd Street and Madison, and for ignoring dogmatists who sniffed at replicating an "ersatz" Beaux Arts mansion in the 21st century -- as if some law exists restricting architectural style. Build what works, and build it well. But credit for this exceptional design also belongs to the architects, the Hut Sachs Studio of New York.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will the stream of bizarre NHL merchandise ever end?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to talk with you and you give me great help! Thanks for that,I am wonderring if I can contact you via email when I meet problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice building, but they could have spent a bit more money and put some details, like stone carvings in the building corners and roof cornices. the more i look at it, the more the building looks like a fancy, but very vanilla box store.

    and i can understand why the landmarks commission was split on the original proposal. one group like the proposal, the other group hated the idea of recreating an old building for modern times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic building, I wish great traditional buildings like this were built more often today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how do you get to the upper east side of Manhattan at the corner of 72nd st and York ave?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts